Students sitting for the GCE Advanced Level examinations would be able to use private buses free of charge by showing their admission card from August 8 – September 3, Education Minister Bandula Gunawardena said today.
However, The Private bus owners today said they will not be providing private bus transportation free of charge to A/L students sitting for their examinations although the Education Ministry had made a formal announcement to that effect.
The Private Bus Owners Association (PBOA) said yesterday that such a decision was not discussed with private bus owners and without making prior arrangements with the private bus operators.
“The ministry should not make such vague statements without discussing it with us beforehand. By doing this they will only distress and inconvenience the students and could potentially damage their education by doing this,” PBOA President, Gemunu Wijeyratne said.
He said last year a similar announcement was made to provide free transportation within the Western Province for students. He said it was an inconvenience to the students at the time.